This blog has moved to www.mscroggs.co.uk.

Sunday 10 August 2014

Sunday Afternoon Maths XXIV

Here's this week's collection. Answers & extensions tomorrow. Why not discuss the problems on Twitter using #SundayAfternoonMaths or on Reddit.

Square Cross

A figure in the shape of a cross is made from five 1 x 1 squares, as shown. The cross is inscribed in a large square whose sides are parallel to the dashed square, formed by four vertices of the cross.
What is the area of the large outer square?

Exact Change

In the UK, the coins less than £1 are 1p, 2p, 5p, 10p, 20p and 50p. How many coins would I need to carry in my pocket so that I could make any value from 1p to 99p?
In the US, the coins less than $1 are 1¢, 5¢, 10¢, 25¢. How many coins would I need to carry in my pocket so that I could make any value from 1¢ to 99¢?

No comments:

Post a Comment